Help! Confused about new tile on wall

Old 04-07-04, 09:49 PM
lilredcorvette
Visiting Guest
Help! Confused about new tile on wall

Hi, I'm re-doing my original 1940 bathroom. I was going to remove the tile and put new tile up in its place.

Someone told me that if I'm taking off the existing tile on a house of this age, I really MUST take down the wall behind it, add a new wall and then add the tile on top. Supposedly, the wall is almost guaranteed to be damaged in the process and if it's not, then the old 'adhesive' is sure to make the wall too bumpy to sand down.

I'm trying to save on $ on this job, but obviously want it done right.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 04-08-04, 03:59 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1940 construction walls are more than likely real plaster. Pop the old tiles off clean the walls and put up new tile. If it's plaster it will be ok, if it's not plaster, you'll know as soon as you begin removing tile.

Old 04-10-04, 08:10 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure that once you get the tile off the wall that there will be anything to stick to.Alot of times what happens is the top layer of that plaster comes off with the tile and then all you are left with is the sandy portion of the mix (mud set) is more the proper defintion of this type of install a mix of sand and cement.

So in the end you are always better off taking it all out and starting over cause once you disturb this stuff it starts to disintegrate and fall apart.

It's a dirty nasty job but the end result makes it worth while,get a dust mask and work gloves , asmall slwdge hammer and take out some of lifes frustrations out on this wall it is good therapy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: