ceramic tile on 45 degree angle

Old 04-13-04, 05:18 PM
firedads
Visiting Guest
Question ceramic tile on 45 degree angle

In our new home the tile contractor is giving us the option to install the tile on a 45 degree for a different look. It will cost $1.00 per sq ft. extra (about 650 sq feet). This type of installation would require an extra 10% in materials above the original 10% overage required for straight install. He also said the normal labor price per sq ft. would apply for the extra 20%. He said tile on a angle gives the room appearance of being larger. Does this sound right ?, and is that a fair price?

Thanks

Firedads

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-04, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the total cost 650.00 more? I guess that would depend on the price of the tile. It does not sound out of line because a 45 install is much harder and demands a lot more cutting. It is much more astatically pleasing and lends a more custom look. I would suggest finding a local tile store and go look at a sample install and see if you like it.

Old 04-14-04, 06:20 AM
pastvast
Visiting Guest
My husband and I are currently redoing our kitchen and putting in ceramic tile. He tried to convince me that we should put it in at an angle to make the kitchen look larger. I believe that it would make it look larger. However, it does involve more waste and more time (way more cuts). It sounds like your contractor is right with his estimates. Personally, I didn't think it was worth the extra money and time, so we're going to put it in straight. Our kitchen is only 130sqft (and that's without cabinets and appliances). 650 sqft is already a very large room. Do you think you need the optical illusion created by the tiles to make it more spacious? If so, by all means do it if you want to spend the extra money.

I hope your room turns out well!
-Stephanie

Old 04-16-04, 07:45 PM
firedads
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks for your advice. Just to clarify the 650 sq ft includes a nook area, kitchen, laundry, foyer and hall to bedrooms. I do however agree that the kitchen area is already good size, but I often (to a fault at times) want to make sure everything is done right the first time.

Old 04-17-04, 08:03 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
It not only makes the room appear bigger but it a lttle more elegant as well ,it is asthetically pleasing to the eye and well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Make sure though that this guy knows what he is doing and check the references he provides,and see if he has any pictures of his work,i take pics of all mine,and get a look, if possible, in person at his work to try to head off any nightmares that may be heading you're way

Old 04-18-04, 09:27 AM
firedads
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your advice Floorman. I have seen the tile contractors work and it's impressive. He has been doing work for my builder for the last few years. I don't have any concerns with his quality. I just wanted to double check on the additional cost to 45 the tile.

Firedads

Old 04-24-04, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When I tiled the master bathroom a couple of years ago, I went with the diagonal pattern and it looks fantastic. Definitely more work, though. Of the 50 tiles I laid, 39 required at least one cut.