Interior Concrete Floor Staining, Need Help

Old 04-21-04, 08:38 AM
Sophie_Sundown
Visiting Guest
Question Interior Concrete Floor Staining, Need Help

I want to stain (not paint) the concrete floor slab throughout most of my house and am interested in obtaining general information regarding the subject, i.e.: types of stains, designs, durability, costs, complexity, steps/processes, etc.

I know I need to use acid prior to staining. Will this remove all the paints, primer, glues, etc. that the contractor so carelessly covered the concrete with?

Also, in regards to the hundreds of concrete patches I'll need to do because of damage caused by tack strip nails and misc. concrete imperfections, will the stain be discolored or uneven in these areas? Concrete patches first then use the acid?

Can anyone direct me to a website where INTERIOR concrete staining is covered on an extensive level? Or on any level? I'm not having much luck....

I appreciate any help and/or suggestions you have to offer....

Sophie

Old 04-21-04, 05:52 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
This a a pretty new thing and not much info out there as of yet i'll tyr to find something on it for you and get it on here

Old 04-22-04, 05:12 PM
Sophie_Sundown
Visiting Guest
Dig.....

Thank you very much! You da [floor] man!

It's really cool so I think interior concrete staining will catch on...

Old 04-24-04, 05:37 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Sorry it took so long,go to www.concretenetwork.com you should find what you need there,neat stuff.I tiled a guys basement bathroom a while back and he is going t do that in his bar area and then i'll go back to carpet the rest when he is finished so i'll get to see this first hand .

He explained the process to me when i was there it sounds pretty easy to do,you chalk out the pattern on ther floor then you stain the individual areas with different colors of stain,after acid washing the floor first.Please post back and let us know what you find

Old 04-25-04, 09:46 PM
hoopers
Visiting Guest
acid staining

I have also been interested in acid stain for my basement. Some while back, I happened on to a website by Gaye Goodman. She gives seminars on how to do this but they are EXPENSIVE. If you go to Google.com and search for acid staining concrete, there are lots of things to see and learn. The advise you are getting on this thread will save you $$$$$$$$$. Take a look at Gaye's work because she is quite an artist, and though I can't afford to learn from her, I enjoyed the peek at her work.

Old 04-27-04, 12:04 AM
Sophie_Sundown
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Is acid stain the same as staining? I'm sure it is similar atleast...

Thank you very much for the information. I'll check out the 'concretenetwork.com' site and search for Gaye Goodman and see what I find.

I'll post here after I've done my search and before I begin for any last minute suggestions anyone may have...

Thank you again!

Sophie

Old 05-28-04, 05:39 PM
Sophie_Sundown
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Floorman....Found the key....

See 'Family Guy's' post on 5-17-04 in the Wood Floors & Laminated Floors forum of the Decorating Community. 'Carpets Done Wright' hooks us up!

Old 05-29-04, 07:33 AM
seabla
Visiting Guest
I am a decorative concrete professional, so I have stained a slab or two. To remove stains on the concrete it is recommened to slightly grind the slab with approved diamonds. Once you apply your acid based stain and then seal it with a polyurethane you will see 3 times as many paint stains as you can see with the naked eye. Trust me, if there are paint stains you can already see, then there are many many more you cant see. Staining is a simple process, but the prep is quite difficult, and is very easy to screw up. My advice would be, if you can afford it, contact a professional, you can also look at this company's website at www.bluejacksurfaces.com for some ideas or advice. If you have any questions let me know.
thanks,
shawn

Old 06-14-04, 03:57 PM
Sophie_Sundown
Visiting Guest
hmmmmm....

(Thank you Hoopers....great site....I can't afford it either)

Shawn: What do you mean by approved diamonds? Sanding? I rented a floor maintainer that seemed to have a mind of its own and really didn't work all that well. I think that with the amount of paint I have to remove, it's easier for me to use a wire brush.....AND then I need to sand it..... Will it ever end?? I'll go check out your suggested site....

Thanks again.....
Sophie

Old 06-20-04, 12:47 PM
seabla
Visiting Guest
Sophie,
Im so sorry for not getting to you sooner. What I mean by approved diamonds is: A diamond grinder. Either you can rent one at a Rental Store or you can hire a professional. If you are limited by money then renting one is the way to go. You can find single head grinders at "United Rentals" they are a national chain or RentX. The rental stores will furnish you with the diamond head for the grinder/polisher. Yes, they are hard to control at first, but once you get the hang of it, its very simple. If you have any other questions, please either post or you can email me at seabla@charter.net.

Old 06-21-04, 11:33 AM
Sophie_Sundown
Visiting Guest
well...

I think I might pay someone to prep everything and I'll do the scoring and staining. I did buy an angle grinder and diamond blade for the scoring but I'm sure you're referring to the big push along kind of floor maintainer/polisher.

Thanks,
Sophie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: