floor or tub surround first?

Old 05-17-04, 08:48 AM
dcannon7
Visiting Guest
floor or tub surround first?

I have gutted my bathroom and am almost ready to start retiling. I would like to tile the tub and separate shower first so I can place the toilet in the shower stall when I do the floor. It appears that the tub tile was done first last time as well. Is this a problem? Any suggestions? Additionally, What size trowel do I use for 10X16 or 12X12 wall tiles?

Old 05-17-04, 09:30 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi
There's no reason why you can't do the floor last if they are separate from the other 2 areas. For a tile that size you would want to use at least 1/4x1/4 trowel...maybe bigger if you're not getting good coverage on the back. You'll want to use thin set also.....premixed mastic will take forever to dry behind the tile and is not waterproof....so White modified thin set is the way to go. Home Depot has Versabond in white, and it's pretty good stuff.

Old 05-18-04, 08:37 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I like to put the toilet in the middle of the living room while I'm tiling the bathroom floor. It's an interesting conversation piece, although I must say that my wife doesn't find much amusement in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: