waterproofing concrete

Old 05-21-04, 02:17 PM
William521
Visiting Guest
waterproofing concrete

I am installing marble tiles on a concrete slab located indoors and I was wondering if I needed to use a waterproof membrane over the concrete. The concern I suppose is that water might migrate from the ground through the concrete and into the marble tiles. Thanks alot.

Old 05-21-04, 04:05 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
if moisture in the slab is a concern then yes!! I would suggest a waterproffing /crack isolation membrane in one, like Nobleseal from the Noble Co.

Old 05-21-04, 04:58 PM
William521
Visiting Guest
question extended some

Thanks ee3. I appreciate the reply alot. As I wrote in my previous message I said I was using marble tiles would this concern be the same if I were going to be using nonvitreous tiles, or vitreous tiles etc.. I think that porcelain tile would be alright without the membrane but could you write back and tell for them all and include why this is a concern. Thanks. I hope I am not asking for too much.

Old 05-22-04, 12:33 PM
William521
Visiting Guest
nobleseal

I might just decide to go with the ceramic tile if this isn't a concern with it. eek, that stuff nobleseal is expensive. How much can you get it for in your area. I have to buy it for around 1.8 dollars a square foot in my area. Thanks alot.

Old 05-23-04, 06:51 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Why don't you do this,take some 6 mil plastic and cut into1' x1' foot squares 1 for every 1000 square foot of floor to be covered and then tape them tape them to the floor with duct tape sealing all the edges and let sit for 24 hours and see whats there then get back to us and we will proceed to the next step

Old 05-29-04, 07:40 AM
seabla
Visiting Guest
there is only ONE product out there that will "Waterproof" concrete for more than two years. Everything else is either linseed oil based or silicone based. The product is Aquaron 1200

Old 05-30-04, 10:02 AM
William521
Visiting Guest
sorry it took me so long to get back and respond to this thread . I did do what you recommended me to do with the plastic and duct tape and I found no signs of moisture at all. I even left it for 2 days just in case. Thats good news I guess . With what we now know what is your recommendations. To be or not to be . I suppose the porosity of the stone/bisque would make profound difference to ones decisions. Keep in mind I am using marble. THANKS.

Old 05-30-04, 04:35 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can also use this product: http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...601-index.html

But it's probably the same cost as the Nobleseal that e3 recommended.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: