Help-18 x 18 slate over ceramic on shower walls

Old 07-10-04, 09:37 AM
Somewhat Handy
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Help-18 x 18 slate over ceramic on shower walls

As the title suggests, I want to install 18x18 slate tile over porcelain tiles in shower (approx. 7' high) without ripping off all tile, board, etc.

Can this work effectively and if so how do I prep surface? Should I use thinset over tile vs.a mastic, etc. A contractor once mentioned using a latex based adhesive prep material first and then thinset over this? Please help!

Old 07-10-04, 10:55 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
There are too many variables too consider trying to do this.It's like rolling the dice and too much too gamble with in my opinion.So the answer would be no this will not work for too long

Old 07-19-04, 04:00 AM
Somewhat Handy
Visiting Guest
Still Undecided

Thank you for the reply...I can't get an answer on this and it is driving me crazy.-there is no consensus although most do agree that in an ideal world it would be best to start from scratch.

That being said, the exisitng tiles are rock solid-it was done right the first time. The surfaces are level-which is good. The tile is not glazed and I would sand it done with a carbide grit to boot. I have done a lot of reading and they all say it can be done. As I am sure you know there are products i.e. Keralastic that can be mixed with dry mortar and you are good to go.

Also, I Do have enough room on all areas to accomodate for the thickness of the two layers.

Any other adive on this? Thanks for any input..

Old 07-19-04, 07:07 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why not get in touch with the people that make the adhesives. There are new adhesives coming out all the time. Try Mapei,bostik,there is also one in connecticut that is good. Get it straight from the horses mouth,and always get their name

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: