1/2" Wonderboard tile backer for shower...

Old 07-28-04, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/2" Wonderboard tile backer for shower...

I'm planning on tiling my shower, and I'm using an acrylic shower pan, but I'm planning on hanging 1/2" wonderboard inside the shower to serve as tile backer.

My question is one of the inside corners of the shower doesn't have adequate framing to attach the wonderboard to. The plumber removed a stud to run a 3" ABS pipe in the back corner of the shower. Therefore, the pieces of wonderboard that should join at 90 degrees with each other at this corner have no studs to screw to. To make matters worse it's a 2x6 wall, but the ABS pipe runs flush with the shower side of the wall making an attempt at putting plywood in there impossible.

Can this wonderboard join at a 90 degree corner without having framing behind the corner?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-04, 07:25 AM
Never mind. I think I came up with a way to get wood in there, although its highly dependent on the board holding everything together, but at least I'll have a strong corner.

ABNOXIOUS! Why do plumbers have to cut so many studs???

Old 02-13-09, 01:59 AM
Pardon me for asking, but did any body respond to your original question? I'm installing hardiboard onto the studs of a shower and the right edge has about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch gap between the hardiboard and the stud. The hardiboard is firmly attached to . the other studs to the left. Is it ok to screw the hardiboard to the stud even with the gap? I tried putting small strips of wood to fill in the gaps, but the gap varies too much. Any replies are appreciated.

Old 02-13-09, 07:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Remove the hardie panel and screw another 2x4 to the stud.