ceramic tile pricing

Old 08-05-04, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceramic tile pricing

Just curious if anyone knows what a person can expect to pay for ceramic tile to be installed only....i have the tile already.

I know the area of the country has alot to do with it, as do many other things, but just ballpark...tile to be layed, grouted, and sealed.

one dollar a sq ft.?......or 10....or 100........well ok...better not be 100 but anyway.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-04, 08:26 AM
I've seen a lot going for $3.50, but I got someone to do it for $2.00.

Old 08-07-04, 02:33 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
You can find people to do it for around 2.00 but you are going to get what you pay for.I start at 2.75 for basic install and go up from there.

You may find someone to do it for less especially if you are in states such as calif.,texas and florida where there are many tilesetters around and will do it just to eat.

Old 09-05-04, 11:46 PM
saw a post at the local Home Depot here in San Jose for ~$6/sqft for tile 12" and smaller, labor only. I think the going rate is $8+/sqft.

what's so different about <12" versus bigger tile? seems like less effort for the bigger formats, and it would also seem to me the job goes faster with bigger pieces.

Old 09-06-04, 07:46 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
I guess i better raise the price of my tile work sounds like i'm the cheapest of them.But thats what it goes for around here.Are these companies or individuals?I just do this on the side for extra money,i have no real overhead so i can do this for less than a co. would or someone who is relying on this to support a family.

The thing about the bigger tile is although you will cover more of an area with the bigger tile they require a little more effort and you also need bigger trowels and bigger saws,bigger tile cutters all this costs more money cause these are specialty tools and the really ream you for these things so that extra cost is going to pay for all that

Old 09-07-04, 12:14 AM
The $6/sqft sounded like some subcontracted individuals who have some deal going with HD.

A friend of mine at work said his mother just had a 4'x8' section of 12" ceramic tile laid on concrete slab for $400. Didn't ask for details, but assuming $2/sqft for some decent tile, that still works out to be about $10+/sqft for labor. I assume part of that includes removal of whatever was formerly there on top of the concrete slab. At those rates, maybe I should start some moonlighting :-)

Another excuse I've heard to jack up the price is laying tiles diagonally instead of straight along the walls. Reason given was there is a lot more waste material, more material needed to fill the same area, more cuts, blah, blah. Strange cuz I've laid both ways--seems like the same amount of cutting, and I end up with very little waste both ways, but there's a little more measuring and thinking involved doing diagonals--I guess that justifies it.

Not cheap here in SJ, no matter what it is... :-(