1inch tile nightmare....

Old 08-17-04, 09:15 PM
reticent
Visiting Guest
Still Need Help!!! - 1inch tile nightmare....

So my Mom bought an older condo and the bathroom floor has varying shades of 1inch square pink tiles. I thought i could just hammer them out, but the few i removed were difficult and the morter is not coming off the cement floor easily at all. My question is....what are my options here? do i put down a plywood floor over the crappy tile and go from there? has anyone used the leveling compound on top of a tile floor? I appreciate any and all input on this....

Last edited by reticent; 08-19-04 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-04, 12:47 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
You Can Tile Over Them If Thats ,your Goal!

Old 08-18-04, 02:26 PM
reticent
Visiting Guest
I was thinking about that, but i seem to recall someone saying it was a bad idea and that the mortor would have a hard time adhereing to the glaze on the current tiles...

has anyone ever done this? run in to any problems? any tips/advice?

thanks again!!!

Old 08-18-04, 07:09 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
as much as it pains me..(i love mosiacs) you can do it. sand the surface to break the glaze and give a surface to bond to. Removes the dirt,oil,sealers ect ...use a good latex modified thin set..The are other options but that takes some brand specific info and that is not allowed..

Old 08-19-04, 02:05 PM
reticent
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ee3
as much as it pains me..(i love mosiacs) you can do it. sand the surface to break the glaze and give a surface to bond to. Removes the dirt,oil,sealers ect ...use a good latex modified thin set..The are other options but that takes some brand specific info and that is not allowed..
So what should i be using to break that glaze? i just tried an orbitol sander with 60grit coarse and it just barely took a bit if the shine off...and since the tiles are not perfectly flat, it's just not going to work...

What should i be using to rough up the surface enough for thin set to adhere? should i go back to trying to just pop off the grout and tiles and leave the old mortor as a base? could you pm me the "other brand specific options" you know of?

Thanks again for any and all input