Joints in Backerboard

Old 08-21-04, 08:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joints in Backerboard

I'm Tiling the Bath surround and have used HardiBacker Board over a vapour Sheet. The joints I have taped. My question is to do with the joints before adding the tiles. I have seen varying responses, as to whether I need to apply a Thinset to the joints seperately, or that the Mortar(ready mixed Thinset with Additive) from Home Depot, is sufficient, and will fill the joints ok.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-04, 03:43 PM
walks
Visiting Guest
There's a pe-mixed water-resistant joint compound you can buy at Home Depot that resembles regular drywall joint compound. When it sets, it's very resistant to moisture, almost like a plasticized finish. I used that over the mesh-taped joints before applying the thinset and tiles in my shower. Instead of regular thinset, you might consider Flexbond, also available at Home Depot. It's more expensive but much easier to work with on wall applications. Plus it's stronger and more flexible, therefore resistant to cracks.

Old 08-21-04, 04:48 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use thinset and mesh tape at the time of the tile install. Don't use the premixed stuff. The main reason the big box stores have it in stock is so they don't have to mix real thinset for demos.