Kitchen Backsplash prep

Old 08-22-04, 08:17 AM
zman123
Visiting Guest
Kitchen Backsplash prep

I have torn out the old backsplash in our kitchen. this is the last piece of a renovation that has included everything but the cabinets.

My question is essentially what do i have to do to get the surface ready for 6 x 6 tile installation. I am a pretty serious diy'er but this will be my first solo tile project. After tearing ou thte old tile, I had some holes in the srywall that erquired patchwork. There was paint flakes and torn paper as well as exposed tape on the seams. I have replaced some of the board and reinforced the holes with fiberglass tape and joint compound to make a stable surface. At this point the wall is somewhat smooth but far from level with one depression estimated at 1/8" deep( next to a electrical outlet).

Will thinset fill in this depression? Will it adhere to unpainted Joint compuound? I am assuming that I will be able to level the tile once it has been installed. Thanks in advance for your advice and please feel free to add any information that I need for the installation phase. I will of course search the older posts and read up before I begin.

Matt Z

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-04, 09:55 AM
tfox60
Visiting Guest
The first thing is to have a sound surface. This means clean, dust free, no lose areas and not shiny. You will be able to deal with small irregularities. If the tile is not level remove it and butter the back with the flat side of the trowel. You may only need to do this where the tile is low. You may use mastic instead of thinset if you like.
Good luck, let us know how you did.

Try to get the surface as level as you can. Skim coat it with compound if you have to. Then you need to prime the whole area with a good primer.