Radius cove molding....what trowel to use?

Old 08-23-04, 09:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radius cove molding....what trowel to use?

I'm ready to set my cove molding in my bathroom between the walls and the floor. I'm planning on cutting and setting all of this first, and then laying out my wall/floor tile after that. It's 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" radius cove molding that's 6" long - matte finish pure white.

I thought it would be easiest to use a 1/4" notch margin trowel to drag thinset away from the corner (up the wall, and away from the wall on the floor), set the tile, and then wipe away the excess. But since the cove molding has a cut-out corner there's only about 3/8" of surface to bond with the wall and the floor. Will a 1/4" line of thinset perpendicular to this 3/8" x 6" bondable space be enough to bond it to the wall, and same with the floor, or should I think about a different type/size of notch? What about the corner pieces that will be a lot smaller? I'll be cutting them at 45 degrees to meet each other rather than cutting one flush, and coping the other piece to fit.

Old 08-23-04, 07:26 PM
J
I don't really understand what you want to do, but if you are talking about setting cove base moulding why not just backbutter the tile itself including the gap behind the cove part. Same thing for the corner pieces. Use plenty of adhesive and clean up as you go. Hope that helps.

Old 08-24-04, 09:33 AM
Yeah, it does help actually. I thought about back buttering. It would save the frustration of trying to get the right amount of thinset in the gap behind the tile in the corner before I set the tile down. I could just scrape the thinset off the margin trowel using the tile, and that should be enough. I just don't want to either end up with not enough thinset, or having too much and having the tile stand out too much...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: