Spacer Size on Wall tiles

Old 08-26-04, 05:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spacer Size on Wall tiles

I'm going to tile around my Bathtub with 8x8 tiles. I have always thought you should use a small spacer on walls, but have had a couple of freinds reccomend using a 1/4 in spacer. Is there a hard and fast rule on this or is it just a matter of personal preference on how much grout you want showing.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-04, 11:19 AM
Depends on what kind of grout line you want, and what type of grout you plan on using. I personally like a smaller grout line. 1/8" is fine for me, but they're harder to get out. If you're using sanded grout it's harder to use lower than 1/8", and 1/4" is basically your grout size limit. It's easiest to fill, easiest to get the spacers out once the tile has set up, but I think it looks less professional....just my .02.

Old 08-27-04, 08:29 PM
J
1/4 is a big joint. I have 3/16 in one of my bathrooms with 6by6 tile and I am glad I didn't go any bigger.

Old 08-28-04, 06:14 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
There are several things that determine minimum grout line size.
First and foremost is the tile itself. Check it for sizeing.measure several tiles out of each box from side to side in both directions.note any inconsistancies.if you have an 1/8 " variation in several tiles. a 1/4" grout line is the minimum you should use and you shoul set to a line using spacers only to hold tiles from sliding downward.Variations can cause tiles to stairstep if you use spacers in every corner where the tiles are varying in size which happens alot.
For an 8x8 floor tile set on the wall,consider 3/16" being the absolute minimum as likely to work. a good quality wall tile you may be able to use as little as 1/32-1/16" spacers.

Better yet, buy a wall tile that is self spacing and leave the spacers on the shelf at the store.This will generally leave you with a small groutline like a 1/16" and the use of an unsanded wall grout will make carrying heavy bags of sanded grout unneccessary.
10# s of unsanded grout will likely do 100-150 s/f of tile on the walls with a small joint.

Old 08-29-04, 06:41 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
not only does a smaller joint look better but in a shower it cuts down on the places that water can get in as well.What are you planning on using under the tile?

Old 08-30-04, 04:51 PM
C
Grout size on wall

I'm using HardiBacker Board.