Marble tile installation details

Old 09-02-04, 06:33 PM
tfox60
Visiting Guest
Marble tile installation details

Hi,
This is my first post, however, I have spent some time reading existing posts. There has been alot of good advice given. I have installed quite abit of ceramic tile of all kinds, on walls, floors, and countertops. But I have never installed marble. Did granite once on a countertop. Worked out fine.

This job is a bathroom with a five foot shower. The marble tile will be on the floor and walls throughout the bathroom. Part way up in some areas, all the way in others. I understand all the negatives about marble upkeep and wear problems. However, this bath is only used by one person. An old codger at that, me. I believe I have the steps necessary for the floor down pat. What I am unsure of is the procedure for the walls. In the shower I intend to use 1/2" backerboard. In the other areas can I use the existing sheetrock? Do you use thinset on the walls or mastic? I was going to butt the tiles, but the consensus seems to be a 1/16" space is better. The tile I am useing is a cream color but not transparent or translucent. Will grey thinset be ok? I read somewhere that it is better to spread the thinset on the back of the tiles rather than the floor. This seems to me to be a very slow and messy way of laying tile. Anybody got any comments?

Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to share.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-04, 10:51 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Use the green board where there is no water splashing onto the tile.
Use white thinset in the shower and then you can use marble mastic for the rest.
You should butter the back of the piece with the flat side of the trowel and then spread the mortar on the wall,you can also take a sponge and wipe the back of the marble(to cut the dust)and that will do the same as buttering the tile,you are trying to ensure you get the right amount of coverage.

How are you going to finish the edges?post back and let us know how you make out or if yopu have any more questions

Old 09-04-04, 07:19 PM
tfox60
Visiting Guest
Thanks floorman, I thought alot about the exposed edges. Finally decided to use painted wood chair rail. I can either purchase one available or make one up myself. Do you have any other suggestions? Also looked at alot of stone/ceramic chair rails. Could not come up with any thing that I liked.

Old 09-05-04, 06:22 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
The only other thing you could do would be to have some made from the marble you have,depending on where you are it can be quite costly though, it goes for around $10.00 a lineal foot here in St. Louis to have the bullnose made