Two different colors / types of tile

Old 09-02-04, 09:20 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two different colors / types of tile

I am getting ready to rip out the old carpet and replace it with tile. I already have tile in the kitchen which I cannot get the same tile now, its discontinued just like all great lipsticks. Anyway I can afford to tile the living room and hallway, but the kitchen and dining room are out of the question at the moment, plus the tile in the kitchen is fairly new. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get any ideas of how to tie the two kinds of tile without it looking completely wretched? I have a wall that divides the kitchen and living room, but their are two entry ways into the kitchen, they are about 4 ft wide. The tile in the kitchen is an off-white, and I would like to put a beige looking stone type (ok, my terminology of tile is callow ) Any ideas or input would be oh, so helpful...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-04, 09:54 PM
tfox60
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb A couple of ideas

You could put a treshold at the doorways to the kitchen. There are several kinds to chose from. This will effectively seperate the two kinds of tile. The treshold will be higher than the tile, which will create a bump at the doorways. This is the safest way as it will also hide any difference in height between the new and old floors.

Another way is to vary the pattern. Lay the new tile diagonally or different than the kitchen. This way the new tile should coordinate well with the old tile.

Good Luck
TFOX60

Old 09-04-04, 10:41 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Assuming the older tile ends at the doorway and not half way through it you could start the new tile on the other side of the door and then cut tile ona diagonal or lay it on a brick pattern to break that up,maybe tile with some contrast to the other two but will still go with ,and compliment the othe two