worried about asbestos in vinyl tiles??

Old 09-09-04, 11:09 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
worried about asbestos in vinyl tiles??

Hello:

I'm a bit concerned...Two weeks back I removed some loose 12X12 "self-adhesive" vinyl kitchen tiles. I cut one or two and scraped up only a couple of them using a putty knife. I then swept up and bagged the mess.

Since I had to remove all of the tiles, I decided to hire a handyman do finish up. The handyman removed all of the 12X12 tiles and reinstalled the new self adhesive 12X 12 tiles. Good enough.

Now a friend tells me that I may have exposed my self to asbestos which I was unaware of when I removed the tiles above!

Getting back to my health concern: Is there asbestos present in the 12X12 self adhesive tiles that I and the handyman removed? I did some research and learned that tiles mfgd after 1984 do not contain asbestos, but not sure when the 12X 12 were manufactured. The removed tiles were grey color on the back, if that means anyting.

Does anyone know when 12X12 adhseive tiles started to manufacture? Do any 12X12 adhesive tiles have asbestos?
For tiles that do not contain asbestos, is there a "stamp or label" on the back indicating the tile is asbestos free??

Also, since I did not remove too much tile, how big of a risk have I potentially created for myself? I don't want to worry if there is nothing to worry about - if you know what i mean??.

Any knowledge or experiences you can share are greatly appreciated.

Thansk to all in advance for replying.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-04, 05:40 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Chances are you did not remove any asbestos,but the only way to know for sure is to have them tested.The reason i don't think you are at risk is the fact that self stick tile don't last that long so the chance is minimal.

Even if you were exposed that one time would not really cause any damage,it is not something you want to breath in every day or be exposed to for long periods of time,but a one time exposure should not be harmful but i am not a doctor so if you check that out and find out differently please let us know.Iv'e been around it for a while and i know been exposed probably more than i care to know about.We run into it all the time and when we realize what we are dealing with,some of the tile you can tell like the 9x9 v.a.t. tile it was only made containg asbestos as well as the glue,we need to get the abatement co. in there and remove it.Hope this helped,i'll see if i can find out when the self stick hit the market and post it back on here

Old 09-09-04, 06:37 PM
T
Thanks Floorman. Your comments are comforting. I see what you are saying. Asbestos is "naturally occurring" so I'm certain we all get exposed somewhat and those in the business such as yourself and the DIYer like myself get more than our share.

If you can determine when the self stick hit the mkt, that would be great and great for other on the forum as well. Speaking with original owner, he thinks the tile is probably a bit less than 20 yrs old, so that would put the mfg/install date somewhere in the early 80s. I think most mfgs had started to phase out the asbestos stuff on a voluntarily basis by end of the 70s, but again, not sure. Apparently there are still products being mfgd with asbestos, but the EPA requires a WARNING label. However, most mfgs are so scared of the liability/lawsuits and have moved as far away from using asbestos as possible.

Tom

Old 09-09-04, 08:43 PM
J
Overall Warnings:
Some vinyl tile, tile backing and adhesive installed prior to the mid-1970s may contain dangerous asbestos. If your floor is this old, obtain a copy of the booklet "Asbestos in Your Home" by calling the Environmental Protection Agency at (202) 554-1404 or download it from www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ asbestos.html.

Sheet vinyl (including the backing or underlayment), vinyl tile, and vinyl adhesive may all contain asbestos. In these products, asbestos fibers were added to the basic materials to give them strength and durability. These products are considered safe unless the flooring is altered or damaged. Damage could occur as a result of prolonged or excessive abrasion. Breaking, sawing, cutting, grinding, and sanding will release asbestos fibers into the environment. When replacement or repair becomes necessary, these flooring products should be handled as little as possible and disposed of in an approved manner

Last edited by joneq; 09-09-04 at 08:48 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-12-04, 06:33 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Thanx for the input joneq very helpful.Still looking for thwe info on when this stuff came out get back to you soon

Old 09-18-04, 06:41 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
From the folks at armstrong,they started making self stick tile in 1969 with asbestos in it and they quit putting asbestos in there products in 1983,so it could still be another year or so until it was all installed so 84 or 85 until it was all gone.I didn't know all that about the self stick tile.Good info thanx for presenting the question so we could find that out

Old 09-18-04, 06:50 PM
T
Asbestos

Floor covering and adhesives after 1983 did not contain asbestos. The only way to know for sure is to have it tested. Otherwise, install plywood underlayment over vinyl and install new vinyl on top. Then, there is not a problem.