How to 'clean' discolored terrazzo flooring.

Old 09-13-04, 06:17 AM
jo321
Visiting Guest
Question How to 'clean' discolored terrazzo flooring.

We had our terrazzo floors 'refinished'. In some areas, vinyl tiles covered the terrazzo, some areas had carpeting, and some had bare terrazzo. We were told that diamond pads would be used to 'grind' the surface, but that some stains might remain. I'm not sure of the exact processes that were done after that, but my understanding is that the floors were cleaned, sealed and polished. The problem is that the floors are very discolored, mostly in areas where carpeting (with padding) had been. It seems like the areas where the vinyl tiles were is better looking than the previously carpeted areas. Do you know if there any way to improve this and get a 'whiter', more uniform appearance? Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-04, 06:26 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
What do you mean by "refinished"? Passing a diamond pad on a floor maintainer will strip the surface and remove some staining, but it's not the same as getting a terrazzo installer in to re-grind the surface. If the stains are deep, then this would be the only way to remove them...and even then, it won't do really nasty staining. The terrazzo probably isn't more than 1/2 inch think at this point since it has been ground once already. If you can find a terrazzo installation company in your area, see if they will give you a quote on re-grinding and sealing. It won't be cheap though, and it's a messy process.

Old 09-15-04, 01:05 AM
jo321
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information. I wish I had asked here on this forum BEFORE we had the work done! I would have paid closer attention to his wording regarding whether he was 'grinding' or just 'stripping' the surface. Is there any way to tell the depth of the terrazzo at this point?

Old 09-15-04, 03:34 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's hard to say...it would depend on the type of terrazzo, and the way it was installed. Is it a continuous pour, or does it have divider strips? If it has divider strips in grid pattern, it's probably thicker...still, calling a pro would be the first step.

Old 09-15-04, 11:42 AM
jo321
Visiting Guest
Ours must have been a continuous pour (no divider strips). The house is about 35 years old and here in Florida, it seems it was common to have terrazzo installed. It goes all through the house - even part of the garage and under all the kitchen and bath installed cabinetry. It could be gorgeous if we could get rid of the discoloration!! Thanks very much for your help and I will definitely try to find a local installer.