Whirlpool Tub Deck

Old 09-16-04, 06:54 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Tub Deck

I added a master bath onto my house and I am installing an oval hot tub. I framed the deck and wish to finish with a ceramic tile on top. I was told to use durarock (cement board) ontop of the plywood in prep for the tile. Is this sound advice? Also, I was wondering how much I should allow for tile and mortar?

Thanks much for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-04, 07:08 PM
A
Yes, that is a good idea. You could use 1/4 inch cement board instead..such as Hardiboard, or RHinoboard from Home Depot. It doesn't have to be 1/2 durock if you have a height concern. A far as height is concerned, measure your tile and your cement board thickness, and then add a 1/4 or maybe less to allow for the thickness of the thinset.

Old 09-17-04, 08:27 AM
U
Thanks for the reply, height is not an issue, if anything I built the 2X4 frame too low so I will build up with plywood and cement board which leaves me about 1/2" for tile and thin set. Do you think that 1/2" is too much? The tile measures 1/4".

Will

Old 09-17-04, 04:14 PM
A
It may be too much....you need thinset under the cement board before you fasten it down, and then again under the tile. A simple gauge would be some cardboard(from one of the tile boxes) then a peice of the cement board, then cardboard again and then the tile. Once you have all the layers together, measure them, and that measurement will be close to what you will need.