pipe's in, now what ?

Old 09-17-04, 07:34 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pipe's in, now what ?

So, have a new bathroom (attic is now bedrooms & bathroom).

Have drain pipes (sink, bath, toilet), copper (sink, bath, toilet), and vent pipes all installed up to required heights.

Now, the flooring goes down before I put the fixtures in ... how much flooring ?
Just the plywood or do I actually finish the ceramic floor leaving (how much) space around the new pipes ? how thick does the floor need to be (or NOT need to be). I was told to double-up plywood flooring in bathrooms before I put in the ceramic (is this true) ?

Also, do I put the new tub right onto the plywood or should there also be a layer of ceramic flooring under that ?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 07:34 PM
S
P

tub first on plywood (no tile)
plywood/backerboard (cement board)/tile
tile in toilet area so flange sets down over tile
tile under sink area if flooring will be visible
tile under vanity if it is not installed yet...(It is easier diying to tile under a vanity if the tile cost won't break the bank, instead of making cuts around a vanity...

Old 09-20-04, 10:01 AM
P
thanks ... shower walls ?

Thanks Stephen !!! Great info.

On the shower walls, it looks much easier to connect shower/tub pipes before walls are up. I will use a 3 piece unit (3 walls, slide into tub). Do I need wallboard behind the 3 shower unit walls ? ... or just put insulation and then wall the hallway outside the bathroom?

Old 09-20-04, 08:50 PM
S
p
yes, it is deffinatley easier to make connections before the walls go up...Some units will require backer and some do not...you'll find at most stores, a display board which will have instructions attached for most in stock tub wall systems..

Stephen