bathroom tissue holder fell out!!!!

Old 09-21-04, 04:57 PM
nandita
Visiting Guest
Question bathroom tissue holder fell out!!!!

HI ,
i am looking for advice on how to fix my bathroom tissue holder that fell off......its a ceramic holder & there is a hole in the wall from where it fell out.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-04, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, what's the state of the space where it used to be? Was thinset used or mastic? Can you see the pattern of the back of the tile in the space? Does it look like enough adhesive was used?

Tyically this kind of thing happens when:

1. Mastic is used in a wet area. Mastic is only used in dry areas, and will re-hydrate, and loose grip on the tile. Over time it will just fall out. It's a common mistake for people who've never worked with mortar when they try to cut corners and their area is subject to moisture.

2. Not enough adhesive will allow the tile to shift with stress (grabbing the toilet paper roll, replacing the rolls, using it as a hand rest - *cough cough*). Over time it will pop loose. There should have been 100% tile coverage - meaning you shouldn't see a good percentage of wall behind the pattern the tile left.

3. The thinset was mixed too dry preventing 100% coverage.

The holder should have been "back buttered", meaning the hole should have been troweled with thinset, and the back of the holder should have been covered with thinset as well with a margin trowel. This virtually guarantees 100% coverage. Then once it's pushed into place the excess thinset is wiped away and the holder should have been taped in place to prevent it from falling away from the wall until the thinset sets up. Once that's done it's like iron. Unless you smack it whith a cold chisel and a hammer it won't come out.

Old 10-02-04, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In our guest bathroom, downstairs, I took the TP holder out of the wall and plastered it up. Kept knocking it with my elbow..etc.
Replaced a new TP holder to match the other fixtures/hardware and placed it on the back of the bathroom door.
Much easier to get to when on the 'john'.