Vinyl over ceramic

Old 09-24-04, 02:40 PM
fsimmons10
Visiting Guest
Question Vinyl over ceramic

I had ceramic tile (quality level 5) put in my condo kitchen and entrance-way... several months later very fine line cracks develops following the wonderboard... I guess... the tile rep came out with the installer and said that the problem is probably where the wonderboard comes together... is where the fine cracks are developing... the installer agreed (reluctantly) to tear up the entire floor and begin again (following the guidance of the tile rep)... now over a year later (past the waranty)... a fine hair-line crack is developing again...

The place where I bought the tiles also sells vinyl... they said that they would give me enough Mannington to cover the entire floor... what to do...

Questions: 1) should the ceramic floor come up first 2) can the vinyl be placed over the ceramic? 3) if placed over the ceramic ... how is it to be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-04, 07:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sounds like your floor was not a good candidate for ceramic tile. Do the cracks run with or against the floor joists and what size and span are the joists. are the cracks in the middle of the span. Tell as much as you can. If the floor was put dowm without properly checking the deflection ratio the warrantee should only start when they have prepared the floor right. It is almost always NOT the tile but the installation.

Old 09-25-04, 11:28 AM
fsimmons10
Visiting Guest
Its a 2nd floor unit... not sure which way the joists are running... I know defelections where not checked ... at least I do not think they where...

I was told by the seller/installer that putting vinyl on top would not be a problem... the tile would have be leveled first I guess...

Old 09-25-04, 12:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not a prob for them, but what about you. Vinyl costs them nothing and they write it off their taxes to. How long is the new crack. Did they stagger the joints when they installed the cement board. Dit they put thinset under the cement board like they should have. What was under it when they ripped it up the first time --thinset ? Somebody has some splainin to do. Like WHY ARE MY TILES CRACKING. Checking the deflection could be done with a long straight edge[as long as possible.a metal stud in the depot is good]. Put it down centered over the crack and get a couple of fat people to stand [maybe press down with there foot like if you were checking for squeaks] on either side of the straight edge. If it goes down that is probably the problem and should have been addressed before installation.

As far as putting vinyl over tile I will leave that to someone else I don't think I would do it. What kind of installation are they talking about a full glue down or just the perimiter and the joints.I don't like that way at all. Moving appliances like refridgerators can rip it real easy. Or is it vinyl tile and who is doing the work. If I was you I wouldn't be doing anything till I got the answer to WHY ARE MY TILES CRACKING?????????.