need grout recommendation

Old 09-28-04, 07:59 AM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
need grout recommendation

In my last tile job, I used a colored Mapai grout which a professional tile-setter recommended. Unfortunately, it came out blotchy. I did an internet search about it and learned that Mapai has a tendency to do that -- very tricky stuff. So.. I need another grout recommendation.

I will be tiling 2 floors and one wall (granite and ceramic), and need unsanded (small spacing on floor). I heard Super-tek was good, but nearest distributor is 50 miles away. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-04, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size is your grout lines? In other words are you just using sanded grout?

Old 09-28-04, 09:36 AM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
No --all are unsanded -- in the floors, I will be using 1/16 spacers.

Old 09-28-04, 12:20 PM
J
do not be to quick to blame the grout. Mapei is good stuff. You will probably find bad things about any brand if you look hard enough, or maybe not so hard.

Old 09-28-04, 02:06 PM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
I am sure that if you are used to it, mapai is fine -- I only do 2-3 tile jobs/year and I want to use something that is less tricky. Any recommendations?

Old 09-28-04, 02:34 PM
J
Why don't you find out what you can get your hands on. Make a few calls to tile stores and see what they sell. I am sure that people will weigh in with their reccomendations, but to say that this or that is good or bad withut knowing if it is available to you would seem to be counter productive.Tek is a good product but you can't get it. What can you get?

Old 10-01-04, 11:06 AM
belmontram
Visiting Guest
I can get Mapei pre-mixed, laticrete, or polyblend by Custom. I generally prefer not to use pre-mixed anything after a bad experience with pre-mixed thinset. But maybe pre-mixed grout is different. I will be using it for ceramic and granite (1/8 grout lines). I would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.

Old 10-01-04, 11:54 AM
J
well,you aren't going with mapei so I would use laticrete it is a great product.