how to remove a cultured marble threshold

Old 10-01-04, 04:59 AM
gretchen dean
Visiting Guest
Question how to remove a cultured marble threshold

hi. thanks for any experience-based advice or suggestions on this challenge: i have to remove a cultured marble transition strip that runs across a six foot span at the edge of my ceramic installation. i don't have a grinder - which i think might be the right tool. with patience, i think i can carefully cut thru the grout between the cultured marble strip and the adjoining tile (which is set in a diagonal brick pattern) without chipping the tile involved. is this right? but how can i dislodge the transition strip from the mud/mortar that adheres the strip to the cement backerboard. is a chisel and hammer the way for me to go? and is there a way to protect the row of tile as i chisel away underneath the marble strip? something like taping the edge and front of those tiles once i've gotten the grout out along the meeting line of tile and transition strip, for example? if so, what kind of tape would hold the tiles securely but not leave a heavy residue when i take it off? what's on the other side of the transition strip, at present, is 3/4" plywood subfloor.

i plan to put engineered wood flooring in, and hope to find a suitable wood transition - in case anyone has a site suggestion - that will lie on top of the newly-exposed strip of backerboard and on top of the wood flooring. the top of the wood flooring will be about 3/4" below the top of the backerboard (which is sitting on top of old, 1/4" luan that was under the previous vinyl and i left when i removed the vinyl for the ceramic installation).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-04, 12:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is a pleasure to read a post that is so complete as to leave nothing much to the imagination. If it were me I would remove the grout grout joint between the threshold and the tile. Then while sitting or kneeling in the room with the tile I would try to crack the threshold in the middle with a cold chisel. Not down from the top but with the chisel on the edge where you just removed the grout pointed toward the other room.WEAR EYE PROTECTION maybe even face protection and long pants and shirt.Try to get a piece out so you can get the chisel under the threshold going sideways toward either end. Or you could take it out the same way toward the other room in pieces. If you have a prob getting the grout out Take it out by chiseling toward the other room so as not to fracture any existing tile. Going toward the untiled room is the safest way imo, but if you get ALL the grout out of the joint there is really no reason not to work from the other room and if you can get the chisel ender the threshold from there it will probably be easier and faster. Hang aroung for a while and see if anyone else has any ideas that may be better.BTW if you want you can protect the tiled floor with some cardboard and duct tape or some towels or whatever.

Old 10-01-04, 03:05 PM
gretchen dean
Visiting Guest
removing marble threshold

"... try to crack the threshold in the middle with a cold chisel. Not down from the top but with the chisel on the edge where you just removed the grout pointed toward the other room." sounds scary. had to google up on 'cold chisel' - which i don't (yet) have. i do have goggles and face protection's a very good idea.

"... get a piece out so you can get the chisel under the threshold going sideways toward either end". o.k., i get this strategy. "...Or you could take it out the same way" -- you mean, striking, again, the tile-side edge at several points to dislodge it in sections. "... getting the grout out ... by chiseling toward the other room" sounds better than my utility knife plan though i'd have to be very attentive/careful as i hammered.

"... work from the other room and if you can get the chisel under the threshold from there it will probably be easier and faster" is what i hope to be able to do - if, as you say, i can "get ALL the grout out of the joint".

"cardboard and duct tape" might work. but that sticky stuff on the duct tape, can i get it off the grout and tile later? i guess the stickier the better for attempting to prevent nicks in the tile edges there at the threshold. i have some potent citrus-based stuff that does do stickiness in but i hate using powerful chems.

thanks infinitely, joneq

Old 10-01-04, 08:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about protecting the tile use a towel. Acetone or laquer thinner removes the residue from the tape. Probably the citris stuff too. Pretty safe stuff. Not gonna kill ya.
Using only the chisel to remove the grout doesn't sound like the best idea I ever heard. Use the utility knife and score it where the grout meets the tile and again where the grout meets the threshold and try to remove it with the chisel only as a last resort and only if it is a wide enough joint.Don't try to chisel out a 1/8" joint. Use the utility knife or leave it and work from the tiled room
Forgot to mention that you can use a grout saw, available at the Depot, to get the grout out. Pretty easy.

Last edited by joneq; 10-02-04 at 05:13 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-02-04, 05:37 AM
gretchen dean
Visiting Guest
grout-width challenged

yes, you're right. chisel alone might work fine but not a chisel wielded with a hammer. i just scrutinized the joint and, though the grout in the field is 1/4", at the threshold it varies from 1/8" to, well, 0". so a new blade in my utility knife's the way to begin.

i'm thinking - which is so much less risky than giving a wack at it - that, once all the grout's out, i should attack from the tile side (with the chisel and hammer) at that point where the tile is 0" from the threshold. it happens, providentially, to be at one end. i'm afraid otherwise the vibration from a strike - say at the mid-point - might send a seismic tremor and actually crack the tile that's at that touchy, "grout-zero" end.

i'll let you know how it works out - once i commit to a wood floor and know for sure the threshold has to go.

thank you, again, joneq.