Impossible Cutting of Backerboard.

Old 10-12-04, 08:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Impossible Cutting of Backerboard.

To say I'm having a heck of a time cutting backerboard is an understatement. Each board is taking me about 25 minutes.

What's the trick to cutting it?

There HAS to be some quick option to doing it.

This is the backerboard I'm trying to cut. http://www.jameshardie.com/backerboa...ibacker500.php

Last edited by seasideheights; 10-12-04 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-04, 10:02 AM
It doesn't have to be "cut" all the way through, just score it, maybe 1/16", four or five swipes with a razor, then break it like sheetrock. I usually score it a few time with a razor then use a hook knife for the additional scores, saves time changing razor blades. If you need to dress up the edges a bit use the coarse side of a rasp.

ps, I didn't look to see which one you were doing, but they all cut the same.

Frank

Old 10-12-04, 12:07 PM
S
I tried a knife but it won't break after scoring it a few times. I'm using 1/2" HardiBacker board, not 1/4" board or the fiberglass mesh board. Are you sure scoring it only 1/16" will do it? I'm missing something. I thought it would be a simple score & break, but it's not working.

Old 10-12-04, 06:47 PM
A
Hardi has a special knife to cut the stuff..it works pretty well. But I think maybe you are being too gentle with the stuff. Using a utility knife, score the surface a few times. Then stand it up and give it a good whack from behind the joint you just scored..using your knee, or foot or whatever. It will break along the score line. It won't be a nice clean break, but it doesn't need to be.

Old 10-13-04, 11:15 AM
Get the scoring knive generally sold with the board. It's a curved knive, with a hardened tip that looks like it wouldn't cut butter, but it's meant to make a nice dent in the board. Use a straight edge to put down on the line where you want to score the board. Pull that knife down the line making sure to press down, and keep doing it until you get a consistent indentation along the line. Then move the board away from what it's sitting on over the line, and snap the board. It might leave remanents of either side, but that's what rubbing stones are for. Flatten the break with a rubbing stone, and then later when the board is screwed up you'll be using fiber tape and thinset to mud the seams anyway, so any missing little bits will be filled in, so don't worry about having the perfect cut. You'll just be wasting time trying to get it perfect. Drywall doesn't even cut like that. That's why drywallers carry around a rasp, and mud and tape the heck out of it after they've hung it.