Ceramic on painted cement floor?

Old 10-15-04, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic on painted cement floor?

I am wanting to lay ceramic tile on my basement cement floor but it has been painted and/or sealed with some dark gray paint/sealer. Can I lay tile on top of this or do I need to deal with the surface first??

thanks,
Craig.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-04, 08:18 PM
Ceramic tile on paint

Oil-based paint will need to be abraded to accomplish adhesion of thinset. Water-based paint will need to be sanded off.

Old 10-22-04, 09:17 AM
How do can I tell what type of paint it is? Are most cement floor paints oil-based?

The guy at Home Depot told me he thinks I could use some Flex-Bond mortar on any painted surface - so long as I scuff off the shine. What is your opinion on that?

How would I go about removing the paint (if it turns out I have to)? I tried a small area with a belt sander and a grinder. Seems to me it would take 30 hours to do it like that....

thanks in advance...
Craig.

Old 10-22-04, 10:20 AM
Rent a floor grinder and remove the coating, then any modified thinset will work just fine. Flexbond over a painted floor won't do it. Versabond which is a lesser expensive mdified thinset from Custom builiding products, the makers of Flexbond, will work fine in your situation as will any modified thinset from the other manufacturers out there. On a slab, you won't need any sort of full flex or premium flex thinset. Tiling on the paint you are relying on the paint bond to the surface to adhere the tiles and once the paint bond breaks, so does the bond the tile has to the floor. Sealers prevent the thinset from even being able to bond to the floor. What kind of shape is your slab in? If you have cracks, they need to be dealt with using and uncoupling or anti fracture membrane under the tile after filling.

Old 10-25-04, 01:54 PM
We have no big cracks in the floor now ( a couple of real hairline cracks ), so I just bit the bullet and rented the floor sander. I was able to get around 90% of the paint off and I already had the flexbond at home so I used it. That sander makes one heck of a mess!

I called Custom and verifed what you said, I then called Home Depot to tell them to stop telling customers to use the FlexBond on painted cement!

Thanks for your help!