Laying Linoleum over ceramic tile,..

Old 10-21-04, 09:53 AM
mouse1
Visiting Guest
Cool Laying Linoleum over ceramic tile,..

I have an issue in my bathroom. I love the tile on the walls and the shower, however the tile on the floor is .. well it is UGLY! I want to lay linoleum (sp???) over the top of the tile instead of ripping out the whole floor and risking breaking some of the wall tile. How can I go about doing this? Or can this be done at all? Your input on this is VERY appreciated!
Shana

Old 10-22-04, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Against my better judgement I'll tell you a way to do it - even though I personally think it cheapens any room to replace a decent tile installation (ugly or not) with linoleum or vinyl. I usually go the other way - throw away the linoleum or vinyl for tile.

Depending on the type of tile (glazed or non-glazed and sealed - gloss or matte finish) you'll want to rough up the surface so a new floor can go over it. Usually this means deglazing the tile, or using an abrasive to do the job for you like a wet sander. Either way you'll at least have to prime it with a costic solution to remove the gloss finish. Once that's done you can either use Self-Leveling Compund (SLC) or by hand float a layer of thinset over this to create a flat and even surface over the tile across the entire floor. Then once this has set up and it's perfectly flat you can roll out your pre-cut linoleum. It's critical to get a flat surface (level or not) for linoleum or vinyl so no air or trap pockets get under it - otherwise it'll pop when you walk on it, and drive you crazy.

So in conclusion the amount of work you're doing to lay linoleum is about the same as setting new tile. You're just adding the work of tearing up the old stuff.

Get the hint? Good luck.

Old 10-22-04, 09:58 AM
mouse1
Visiting Guest
Talking

I agree that tile is much nicer than linoleum.. hands down. However the bathroom looks great and the tile on the floor dates it. I am in the process of listing the house to sell and see this as a downfall for the bathroom. I am not really worried about the work involved as long as the tile on the walls is not destroyed is all. They laid the wall tile to the top of the floor tile so I risk breaking it when I try to take it out. I don't have any of the original left to replace it should that happen. So I am stuck 1. either leaving it the way it is, BUTT ugly.. or2. try to make it look a little more up to date with the lino.. I will give it a try with the level agent that sounds like the easiest. Thanks so much for the help!
Shana

Old 10-22-04, 10:26 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the tiles are going under the wall tile, then may I suggest you just tile over the old with something a bit more contemporary and the amount of prep work will be less as you won't have to worry about having a glass smooth surface as you will with the vinyl and will probably be more attractive to a prospective buyer than v-v-v-vinyl. With the tile over tile at the walls you won's have to add any cove base, just make your cuts nice to leave a consistent groutline and caulk with the matching caulk to your grout. With the vinyl, you can count on havving to use some sort of shoe moulding and that would look, in my opinion, pretty bad. If you choose the tile over tile, post back for specific how to's.

Old 10-22-04, 05:07 PM
mouse1
Visiting Guest
Talking

Well I thought about putting tile over the top of it.. howeve then I will have to raise my door (cut bottom), then raise the tolet and my sink.. sounds like a pain in the arse.. LOL.. I am not sure at this point I want to do all that.. but then again I have a lot to do to be able to lay the lino... hmmm.. Well let me know what has to be done to prep it for new tile and I will go from there. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: