Instaling backer board and tile on tub enclousure

Old 10-25-04, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Instaling backer board and tile on tub enclousure

I apologize if this is redundant, I just wanted to make sure my specific questions are adressed. My tile was leaking around my tub. It was installed on non waterproof sheetrock. The sheetrock was saturated. I removed the sheetrock, the lath and plater behind it and I am now down to studs. I am planning on putting up hardibacker, then tile over that. A contractor friend of mine told me not to put a moisture barrier behind the hardibacker, he didn't say why. Is this correct? Is there anything I need to consider when I put up the board. I know that I should leave a small gap so it is not touching the tub and fill that wil silicone caulk. I know I should tape the joints and use thinset on them. It looks pretty straight forward. Am I missing anything?

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-04, 12:43 PM
Here's a link to Hardi's insallation procedures. It shows and you should use a moisture barrier.
http://www.jameshardie.com/backerboa...stallation.php
It's cheap insurance that water infiltration wont cause damage to your wall cavity. Hardi and other cellulose/portland boards drink up and allow water to pass through quicker than others such as durock or wonderboard. All are great on a shower surround and all use a moisture barrier behind them. A roll of 15lb roofing felt shouldn't set you back more than about $10 and make sure it overlaps the drip edge.

Old 10-25-04, 01:30 PM
Would you use that instead of 6 mil poly?

Old 10-25-04, 01:33 PM
Either or, if you have 6 mil poly laying around the house, go for it, the tar paper is just a bit stiffer so it's easier in my opinion, to get ti nice an d crisp into the corners and to prevent it from shifting up over the drip edge, but one doesn,t work better than the other.