Replacing Hardwood Flooring With Slate

Old 10-25-04, 03:57 PM
gene_poole
Visiting Guest
Replacing Hardwood Flooring With Slate

I am considering removing the 70 year old hardwood flooring from the main level of my home and replacing it with slate. The flooring in the main part is a very hard, almost white wood with the peices running to several feet in length. I hav another part of the house that has 14" oak shorts that I am also planning to do in slate or tile. Would it be worth it to remove the oak shorts for resale, or should I lay the cement board over them? If there is a market for my flooring, how do I contact it?

Thanks,
SD

Old 10-26-04, 05:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
floor

hi
Iwould try to take picture and sell them on e bays

cheers

pg

Old 10-29-04, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How certain are you that you can remove the old flooring without significant damage? The additional labor required for disassembly v.s. demolition may drive the cost over what you can sell it for.

You may want to try disassembling an area and see how long it takes and how much usable flooring you recover.

Old 10-30-04, 04:51 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The floor for stone needs to be twice as strong for stone as for ceramic. This includes along the run of the joists as well as the span between the joists. It must meet a minimum deflection of L/720, or 1/720 of the length of the floor in inches. What is the subfloor and what is the size of the joists, the spacing between and the length of the usupported span? Also, cement boards cannot be installed over dimensional lumber, there must first be a layer of ply, or maybe in your case, 2 layers because of slate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: