Want to ceramic tile Kitchen Counter Top

Old 10-27-04, 10:39 AM
Joe44
Visiting Guest
Want to ceramic tile Kitchen Counter Top

Ok, I am new to this site..Heres what I need to know...I want to take my existing factory formica contertop out completely..I want to redo it with ceramic tile..My question is, what do I use for the surface to put the tile on. Do I use cement board, or plywood..and what thickness..thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-04, 06:23 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
i did mine
i layed a 3/4 plywood on top and used premix thinset and laid the tiles down

cheers

pg

Old 10-28-04, 06:32 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For the best and longest lasting results, it should be 3/4 exterior grade ply, 1/2" backer set in thinset and screwed down and strips of backer wrapped over the exposed edges. Use backer tape and thinset over your joints and use modified thinset to set your tile. Leave a 1/8" gap between the ply/backer and the wall and caulk the gap as you set each layer. Leave a 1/8" gape between the wall and the tile and fill with a color /texture matched caulk. Premixed products are not as heat or water resistant than regular modified thinsets you mix in a bucket and that extra work is well worth the effort. Same goes for premixed vs. polermer modified grouts. If you are prone to over building things, cover the backer with a trowel on waterproofing membrane after filling and taping your seams or fill and tape the seams as you tile without the membrane.

Old 11-26-04, 09:34 PM
DoinIt
Visiting Guest
Tile over?

with regard to tiling kitchen counter top, is there any reason why one cannot just tile over the formica surface?

failing that, if there are no plans to reshape the layout how about peeling off the formica surface and tiling from there?

Old 11-27-04, 05:38 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can tile over the existing formica if there are no loose pieces, it there are no swelling joints, if there is not a factory drip edge, if there is not a preformed backsplack, if the front edge is square and not rounded over. If you remove the formica, then you have an even worse situation. Likely there iwll be particle board which you wouldn't want to tile over and you still have the issue of cleaning off all the contact adhesive used to bond the laminate to the substrate.