Grout re-color and floor sealing questions

Old 11-01-04, 04:02 PM
califb
Visiting Guest
Question Grout re-color and floor sealing questions

Hello,
My bathroom floor has recently been tiled (removed the existing linoleum and leveled cement floor first). It has been about three weeks since the tile was grouted and I haven't sealed the (sanded, not pre mixed) grout yet because I am very unhappy with the color, (which dried much lighter then the color shown on the box). I want to stain the color of the grout to match the color of the 12" x 12" tiles and was wondering what was the best way to go about this.

Also the color of the tile looks so much ricer when the tile is wiped with a damp rag and I'd like to treat the entire floor with something that will give it a permanent wet or high gloss look. I have found products that will do this but they say they are for unfinished tile or stone and do not say they can be used on ceramic tile.
The floor dimensions are 5' x 8' and tiled with 12 x 12 tiles with a double row of 2" x 2" tiles 9" in from the wall all the way around. You can see a pic of an area of the floor here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/whew/califb/tilefloor.html

Thank you so much,
Karen

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First let me say nice work. You don't mention but does the grout look like the color sample when it's wet? If so, then an enhancing sealer will give it the wet look. If you want to you can use a grout stain or grout colorant, a stain will look like just grout when it's done, but is very tricky and can discolor your tile if it's not done properly. A grout colorant is much easier to clean up but looks just ever so slightly like paint, but will effectively seal your grout at the same time when done. If your tile looks better when wiped down, try wiping it with a grout haze remover, you may have a very thin film on it which disappears when damp, just as grout looks like the color sample when wet. Otherwise, there really isn't anything to use an a glazed tile.

Old 11-04-04, 12:26 AM
califb
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your compliment on the floor (I added a couple more pics that show it better). To be fair a friend of mine who has some experience (and a big professional tile saw) helped out quite a bit. I think I'll try the color enhancing sealer if I can find any since the grout does look like the picture on the box when it is damp. I live in a small town (like Mayberry) and will probably have to order it online. Yes, the floor came out looking pretty good - I just have to add the wooden toe cap and seal the grout and it's done. Next is the paint and wallpaper (note to self: next time do the walls and ceiling first!), and then install the new vanity and sink. Thanks for the info on the sealant, do you know where I can purchase some online? ~ Karen

Old 11-04-04, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Even in the middle of nowhere it seams there are big blue and orange big boxes snapping up land and you should be able to get it there, but try an out of the way area small test spot first as if it does not work then you cannot stain or use colorants on sealed grout. Try doing a google search for "enhancing sealer" and you will find what you need. I don't believe I can reccomend something such as that without having it deleted or x'd out as it was in another post recently as it goes against the advertising policies of this site.

Old 11-04-04, 07:58 AM
califb
Visiting Guest
I tried the local HD and all they had was the colorant - no stain or enhancers. The grout hasn't been sealed yet because I'm waiting to get the color right. I'm going to run a google search and see what I can come up with in the way of enhancers and stains. Thanks so much, Karen