Ceramic Tile on Concrete Slab?

Old 11-03-04, 10:11 AM
CWL
Visiting Guest
Ceramic Tile on Concrete Slab?

I'll remodeling a play room that currently has linoleum tile on top of a concrete slab. We intend to carpet a majority of the room, but by the exterior door we plan to put down about a 4 x 4 area of tile. How do I prep the area? I'm assuming that I remove the linoleum tile down to the concrete slab. Any other prep required?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You at least need to make sure any mortar you use will adhere. This usually means using a costic cleaner and primer, or something else to make sure the bond doesn't weaken. Some use a roll-on membrane as a crack suppressor before setting their tile as well, so it depends on the condition of the slab and the thickness of the pour.

One thing you can do is remove any waxy or oily areas. Depending on how thick your pour is you can rough up the surface with a grinder, or abrasive wheel - basically remove any glossy and high areas. Then clean the surface really well to remove any loose material, and start spreading your thinset. If you have a height problem you can float the area with a layer of thinset mortar and a straight edge if 1/4" or less. Any more you might need to use a self-leveling compound, or a sturdier mortar before applying your adhesive.

Old 11-04-04, 03:30 AM
T
Once you pull the vinyl in the area, do not grind the surface if the adhesive is black as it likely contains asbestos. Scrape it with hot water and a 4" scraper to get up as much as you can. Other than that, Corey's advice is on the mark. Between the house and the new baby, where do you find time to go online Corey? Belated congrats on the birth.

Old 11-08-04, 11:35 AM
Between work and screaming baby time. I'm also a software developer, so I'm in front of a computer all day anyway.

Seriously, I've managed to carve out time to get my own projects done too. I'll get there. Just time and patience...good call on the asbestos thing.