To Seal or Not to Seal

Old 11-04-04, 01:42 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To Seal or Not to Seal

We are getting 12x12 ceramic tiles installed in are kitchen/nook/pool entry area - a total of 488 square feet. We looked into getting a stain free epoxy grout but couldn't get anyone who wanted to do it. At that point we got different opinions on whether we should seal our regular grout (or not). It's a coffee color, not sure if that matters or not. We have two small kids and will enter the nook area from the pool so it will have heavy water traffic. One company said tile needs to be sealed every three to six months. One company said don't bother, another company wanted $500 to do it (ugh).

Any advice/thoughts on the benefits of sealing ceramic tile?

Thanks!
Kimberly

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-04, 05:00 AM
T
The tile if glazed will not take a sealer and most unglazed procelain tiles are too dense to really have any benefit from a sealer. I can understand the reluctance on using epoxy grout, especcially in a residential floor application, it's miserable to work with in every aspect from clean up to fumes to work time. Sealing the grout is so easy to do. Get a top quality sealer, something in the $30/qt range and a sealer applicator either the kind with a applicator wheel on top or a brush on top and then go over your grout lines with it. It will take about an hour. Two coats if after the first coat you see that it will absorb more sealer but usually not needed with the better sealers. You will be kicking yourself in the back side if you spend $500 for someone to seal the grout after seeing how easy and quick the task is. Sealing the grout will help in keeping it clean.

Old 11-05-04, 08:51 AM
Custom Building Products makes a great sealing product for both basic non-modified grouts and latex modified grouts. It's called TileLab SurfaceGuard. If you're working with glazed tiles then you'll only be sealing the grout. Get a small brush-like applicator (looks like a small bottle with a paint brush head on it), and enough sealer to cover your sq. footage, fill the bottle, and paint the grout lines only. Wipe up excess with a clean rag as you work. Start at one end and work your way to the other, and don't paint yourself into a corner. Keep applying it unitl the grout line won't hold any more. Your grout should have cured between 48 and 72 hours before sealing.

It's a piece-o-cake, and it will protect your grout way better than not having any protection at all...I'll send you a PM.

Old 11-06-04, 05:58 AM
Gundlach has a spray on tile and grout sealer that is pretty impressive, I must say!

I have always used tried and true Aqua Mix, products.

Old 11-07-04, 05:14 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
We used that as well perry it comes in the can that you put into a caulk gun type applicATOR AND YOU SPRAY THE JOINT VERY SIMPLE TO USE AND VERY QUICK.We sealed about 1800 feet with furniture to move in about 3hours 2 guys.
The epoxy grouts nowadays are very user friendly not like when they first came out,laticrete has spectraloc a great product easy to use and very idiot proof,i say that for my benefit as well.
But i would most definitely seal the grout,that is very user friendly now also not like in the day when you HAD to stay in the joint or you would leave a film on the tile that would not come off.Most are water based now so read the can before you apply it