Ceramic floor tiles releasing

Old 11-05-04, 06:08 PM
jkraut
Visiting Guest
Ceramic floor tiles releasing

undefined

Last week we installed ceramic floor tiles on a concrete slab floor. This floor is 11 years old and previously had carpet over it. We used sanded tile mastic to install the tile. Now one week later some of the tiles are releasing and raising up. Anyone have any ideas why? This is not my first time tiling. I have done several floors and shower stalls with no problems so this is really a surprise to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-04, 07:40 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Was it premixed sanded mastic thin set that you used? IF so, that stuff takes forever to dry..especially over a slab. Have you tried removing one of the raised tile to see if the mastic is still soft?

Old 11-05-04, 08:30 PM
jkraut
Visiting Guest
No this was LabTech dry mix that we mixed ourselves. Not all the tiles are releasing only in some areas.

Old 11-07-04, 05:25 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
First guess would be there is moisture in the slab and is pushing the tileup or keepiing the mortar mix from curing properly. There could also be a sealer on the cement keeping the mortar from bonding properly to the substrate.And is the mix that you used rated for the application that it was used for?