New Grout Color Before and After Pics...

Old 11-08-04, 05:16 PM
califb
Visiting Guest
New Grout Color Before and After Pics...

Click HERE to see the before and after pics.

I was having a very difficult time finding grout stain in my city to darken the color of my new (unsealed) bathroom grout (I could find grout paint, but no stain) so I decided to take a chance and use some dark brown cement colorant I had. The box said it was supposed to be mixed with dry cement powder but instead I mixed about 1/4 cup of the powder with enough water to make it the consistency of thin pancake syrup and mixed it well. I then carefully applied it to the grout (as evenly as possible) using cotton swabs dipped in the mixture. I applied the stain to 1' sections at a time and then immediately wiped the excess off with a old (dry) cotton T-shirt. I started in the far corner and worked my way toward the door and it took me about two hours to complete the job. The stain wiped off of the ceramic tile easily but I wouldn't use it on unglazed tile because it would stain it permanently. Now all I have to do is seal it and it's done. I am very pleased with the result.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-04, 01:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What a great sounding idea. By the way the floor still looks great and the color of the new grout really highlights the mosaic border tiles. Post back in 6 months and let me know the color is holding up. I'd be very interested to know.

Old 11-10-04, 04:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
That looks great. I'll have to remember that one.

I hate picking grout. The samples and color charts are not worth squat. The real gourt always come out much lighter than the color chart.

Old 11-15-04, 04:30 PM
B
Angry new kitchen floor

I was thrilled to put down my new kitchen floor after waiting 10 years, I finally talked my husband into putting down ceramic.
I loved it but today we grouted it. I really like the color on the chart and when it went down, however it dried almost white there is really no contrast

I am sooooo disappointed in the color is there anything I can do to make it a shade or two darker I asked him to put a different color on top but he said you cant

Please help
thank you

Old 11-16-04, 12:15 PM
T
Sounds like too much water was used and left on the grout lines after cleanup. Best bet now is to either regrout, use a grout saw to get out the old grout to about 2/3 of the original grout depth or go over the grout with a grout colorant.