? Tile Pattern Transition from Room To Room

Old 11-09-04, 08:35 AM
TommyT
Visiting Guest
? Tile Pattern Transition from Room To Room

I am doing my whole basement in 18" ceramic tile (4 rooms). I did the largest room so that I would have even size cuts on the sides. The tile are layed square as in a checkerboard. When I transition to the smaller rooms, should you adjust the tile at the doorways so that you again have equal size cuts on the edges, or should you continue the pattern and not worry about the size of the cut tiles, or is there yet another better way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-04, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since you're using uniformely sized tiles of alternating colors, and aren't incorporating a smaller tile as in an inset border or anything I would carry the same pattern regardless of the size of the cuts into the other rooms. You can use thresholds in doorways to allow you to adjust tiles on the wall opposite the door. Since thresholds are thick you can either cut some off of the tile in the doorway, or start with whole tiles, and you can avoid having skinny tiles on the back wall.

Old 11-10-04, 12:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, what Cobalt said, or you could find a smaller tile or stone to use in the doorways that compliments your tiles or oak threasholds and treat each room as it's own. If you go the oak rout, caulk by the threshold with a grout matched caulk to allow for expansion.