marble installation questions

Old 11-13-04, 08:34 PM
Boxarocks
Visiting Guest
marble installation questions

I am installing 12 x 12 marble tile as wainscoting in a master bath. The studs on 16 centers are bare. What is a reasonable substrate upon which to install the marble? I was thinking that 5/8 drywall would suffice. What say you?

I am covering a drop-in tub platform using 12 x 12 marble tile.
Yes or no to covering the ¾ inch ply with backer board?

The ¾ inch oak flooring in an adjoining closet floor is removed & salvaged to do patching in other areas of the house.
The closet is 6' x 6'. I will have plenty of leftover marble tiles that are unusable due to color variation. If I use them on this floor, what substrate should be installed for maximum strength? I do not want to cheap out on this small area & have problems later. The subfloor is 1x10 laid on the diagonal. It is not T&G and the material used is / was of "marginal" quality. I would call it crating lumber quite frankly. Replacing the subfloor is out of the question. We must build upon it either to tile, or carpet if the tile concept becomes too much work for the value returned.
The joists are 2x10 on 16" centers. The span is 13 ft. I will be sistering some of these joists to stiffen the floor due to marble & tub weight.

I can live with the finished tile being ½ inch higher than the adjoining oak floored corridor.
This means ½ inch ply under ¼ inch backer board, OR set the tile directly on ¾ inch ply or OSB. Which is best?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-04, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You joists will not support the marble tile w/o some beefing up, if you sister the joists with new 2"x10", it would be sufficient to support the tile then.

Personally I would use cbu on both the bath walls and the tub surround, but many would go with the plan you've described.

Old 11-15-04, 08:24 PM
Boxarocks
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your input.
I have looked over the joists, subfloor etc, & think that the added work is too great for a closet floor. Carpet will suffice.

This circa 1890 home was a bit under-engineered. I am sistering many joists where the originals have sagged appreciably. The 2X10 joist span on the other side of the house is 16ft. This 4000 sq ft home was built for upper class & you would think that the old saying "they don’t build them like the used to" would apply. Well, many shortcuts were taken on building of this place, & as a consequence, every square foot of plaster is loose, & is being demolished.

Thanks