Adhering Towel Bar to shower tile

Old 11-14-04, 01:21 PM
LisaG
Visiting Guest
Adhering Towel Bar to shower tile

I have a 1950's house that has a towel bar inside the bath/shower that keeps getting knocked off. It is mounted on metal pieces that stick out of the wall. Then the ends of the towel bar are supposed to hook on to the metal pieces and be screwed tight with a small screw. The screws are rusted. I have tried to 1) Use silicone caulk 2) Use grout 3) Use liquid 2-part epoxy and grout around it after 4) Use epoxy putty and grout around it after 5) File the lip inside the towel bar ends so it will "hook" more onto the metal piece. What am I doing wrong? It seemed to last the longest (a month) using #4. Do I need to seal the grout? Do I need to caulk around the grout? Do I need to use some other type of grout/epoxy/mortar/cement?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-04, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The little screws should be able to be found at any hardware store. I believe they are 1/8" allen head screws. If the lip that the bar hangs on is still usable I would just replace the screws. If it holds but not real well, you may have to put epoxy on the metal clip on the wall and also the bar. Then caulk around the bar support. Bending the lip on the metal clip a small amount may give it more bite on the bar. Good luck and post back.

Old 11-14-04, 02:00 PM
LisaG
Visiting Guest
The screws won't come out. Today I filed a better "hook" inside both ends of the towel bar and then used 2-part epoxy putty to stick it up. I need to grout or caulk to keep the water out - is caulk better for that?

Old 11-14-04, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would use a silicone caulk as grout wouldn't stick as well to the tile. The silicone will be waterproof and the grout would not(in that application).

Old 11-14-04, 05:22 PM
LisaG
Visiting Guest
Thanks - I will let you know how it comes out!

Old 11-15-04, 03:23 PM
LisaG
Visiting Guest
So far so good on the towel bar - it's been almost 24 hours since caulking and it hasn't fallen down yet! Of course, none of the kids have taken a shower yet....