not happy with grout

Old 11-17-04, 05:45 AM
itspolo
Visiting Guest
not happy with grout

i installed tile in a tub surround and last saturday proceeded to grout the tiles. i got back yesterday only to find that when i was cleaning the excess grout off the tiles it seems that i took a little too much off in certain areas. looks a bit uneven throughout the wall. the grout has cured for 4+ days and i was wondering if i can go ahead and put more grout over those areas to even it out? will it stick?

also the area at the base of the wall where the tile meets the tub, there is a gap there, perhaps more than an 1/8 of an inch, should i fill it in with grout or should i put silicone? if silicone, any recomendations...

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-04, 11:33 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will need to remove the grout down to about 1/8" minimum depth where you want to go over it with new grout. You can use any acrylic latex caulk in the gap between the tub and tile and can probably be purchased or ordered in a color match to your grout. If you use silicone, read the label carefully as they have different bonding abilities. GE silicone I for example has great bond to tile but marginal to acrylic whereas GE II has great bonding to acrylic but costs more. You did not mention what material your tub is, so go out to buy knowing that info.

Old 11-19-04, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In the future put more steps into your grouting process. Grouting can be a difficult process, but mostly because of the constant washing you need to do.

Basically I end up washing the surface 3 times. Once to remove excess grout after I initially push grout into the grout lines, then one to wash the grout lines to the right shape after I've let it set up for a few minutes, and one to remove any remaining grout residue. Also, I pick a max 3' x 3' area to work in at a time. I do all of this before I move on to the next section of tile. Letting your grout cure without washing the lines prevents you from providing any grout continuity.