tiling a japanese soaking tub?

Old 11-17-04, 09:18 AM
Janer_j
Visiting Guest
tiling a japanese soaking tub?

I am interested in designing a deep soaking tub, basicaly it would be small but deep enough to be chest high when sitting in it on a ledge. As all the tubs i have seen are expensive/or difficult to get I was thinking of using tile to make one. Does anyone have any suggestions on doing this or any reasons why this is a bad idea?

Old 11-17-04, 11:37 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Never built one, but I hate seeing "0" in the replies column. I can say that you might want to talk to a local pool store about fabricating one that would be water proof and then tiling it yourself but in an underwater situation, you will need epoxy adhesive and epoxy grout. You might also want to contact Schluter at www.shluter.com and inquire if Kerdi waterproofing membrane could be used in this situation as a liner and then installing tile over that.

Old 11-17-04, 11:51 AM
R
Any reason why you ruled out plaster finish below the water line? You can still use tile at the water line and above and tile accents in the seat.

Old 11-19-04, 09:47 AM
I've seen a lot of these and they're beautiful. Yes, you'll want to invest time and energy looking into various porcelain mosaics and pool tiles. Choose your substrate wisely, and use a waterproofing membrane system since a large portion of the tiled surface will be under water. Grout is also an issue. You'll need to pick something that can withstand being submerged with hotter temperatures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: