Where the tile meets Drywall ....

Old 11-19-04, 05:27 PM
Dan Flaherty
Visiting Guest
Where the tile meets Drywall ....

I am planning to install tile around my whirlpool tub. (any suggestions on how high I should go??) My biggest concern however, is what to do where the tile will meet the MR Sheetrock. I plan on using 1/2 in. Durock and 1/2 in. MR Sheetrock. What do you do with that seem where the two different materials meet? Will the edge/trim tile meet perfectly at the joint?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-04, 07:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know I will catch hell for saying it, but I would just use the MR wallboard. I am assuming there is no shower.I mean how wet is it going to get. Second choice is to bring the MR wallboard into the tub area a little and eliminate the transition by tiling over it, just use the cement board for the first 1' or so. Grout properly, caulk properly, and seal and option 1 will last longer than you will want it to. I still have a showerstall with MR wallboard and it has been there 35 years-----and counting. Obviously durock[or similar] is the product of choice. Option 2 will get rid of any transition problems just make sure you have something to attach it to at the 2 ends of the tub.

How high you go is up to you. I would just make sure it was all full tiles. Look at some books or web sites. I looked and it looks like 2 or 3, 6" tiles high is all. Again, How much splashing are you gonna do. Or do you have something else in mind,maybe a little higher then.

Old 11-20-04, 04:30 AM
Dan Flaherty
Visiting Guest
Thanks joneq,
The only splashing that will occur will be from my children. They do enjoy the tub but we can keep the splashing to a minimum when needed (nothing like a shower).
Appreciate the advice!!
Dan