Warming the tile floor-"Suntouch"

Old 11-27-04, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Warming the tile floor-"Suntouch"

So I'm in the tile store looking at tile for the shower and the bathroom floor and I see this little display for SunTouch. It's like a very thin gauge heating coil (+/- 3/32" diameter) laid within a thin nylon mesh. It's to be rolled out, fastened to slab or backerboard, thin spread the thinset and lay the tile.

They had a little counter display in the store with about 1/2 a square foot set up and it was warm to the touch. I've got friends in New Mexico, Colorado and Montana with radiant heat in their floors but those are seious, liquid systems. Since we're in Texas, short, generally mild winters this might be just the ticket to unchill our floors in the AM.

Has anyone installed, used or seen one of these, or a competitive set-up before?

Any experience of any kind is appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-04, 01:05 PM
T
Pretty easy to install, just follow the directions for setting them to the floor, some get taped, some get glued, etc. If you are familiar with basic electrical, then the wiring is very simple too, but depending on whereyou are you may need a permit. Once set down, a thin pour of self leveling cement is the easiest way to cover them quickly and protect then for tile. SLC has a primer bonding agent which must be used first. Once installed, do not run for a couple of weeks to let the thinset cure properly. Cool stuff.

Old 11-27-04, 01:15 PM
Thumbs up

Put in my boys new home 2 years ago In all the baths. You would have a fight to take it out of there . They all think it's the best thing. Used http://www.warmlyyours.com

ED

Old 11-28-04, 05:26 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Like bri said there are a few different ones out there with ther own way of being installed ,i'm seeing alot of the mat type now but a few years ago there was one inparticular that had a plastic grid that you fastened to the floor and then ran a wire through the grid then the s.l.c. then the tile ,mainly in four season rooms,enclosed back porches and such.Some also want you take a little course from their sites and keep in contact with them as you install the product so they make sure you are doing properly so you don't void the warranty.
All in all they are easy to install like he said and they are gaining in popularity too

Old 12-03-04, 10:00 AM
HomeBuilder
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Under-tile heater

Hi,

Such products are very popular now and in high demand! I build houses for my clients and 90% of them want their floor to be heated. It is really easy to install, just roll it over in put regular amount of cement on top.
I used to purchase suntouch before but recently found similar heater, even more durable and for much less money. Go to www.thermosoftinternational.com/flooring.htm.
They also have heaters for laminate floors, but I never used them yet.

Alex