Lino to ceramic ensuite

Old 11-27-04, 02:41 PM
737-700
Visiting Guest
Lino to ceramic ensuite

I've got the lino ripped up and have lino adhesive on top of MDF on top of existing floorboards.

If I put 1/4" plywood overtop of everything, can I then put thinset down on the plywood and ceramics on that?

What do I need to use to seal the plywood gaps?

Sure appreciate some advice!

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-04, 04:20 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You don't want ny 1/4" plywood in your ceramic subfloor, the minimum thickness of added plywood is 3/8", and that is only over 5/8" plywood to strengthen the floor before adding cement board when going over 16" oc joists. Over plank floor boards, the minimum is 1/2" before adding cement board. You also don't wnat MDF or particle board under your ceramic ever. Minimal amounts of water cause it to deteriorated which will cause your floor to fail. Pull up the mdf that's down and add 1/2" bc or better exterior grad plywood with 1 1/4" coated screws after resecuring the old floor boards to the joists. Lay plywood sheets perpendicular to the floor joists, gapped 1/4" around the perimeter and 1/8" between sheets. I fill the joints between plywood on the top layer with caulk just to keep thinset from filling in the expansion joints in the ply, and old timer I worked with used thin srtips of duct tape over the plywood joints. Amazes me how many uses there are for that stuff. Screw that plywood down every 6-8" oc over the entire face of each plywood sheet before adding your unmodified thinset and setting your cement board. Use modified thinset to fill the gaps between backer boards, taping the seams and setting your tile.