Ceramic tile against a door threshold

Old 11-30-04, 08:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile against a door threshold

Hi,

I'm preparing to install ceramic tile in my foyer (a 4X7 area) joining the two sets of steps of a split entry home. My questions is: when I run the tile up to the door threshold, can I set the tile right up againist the threshold or should there be a space there for grout?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-04, 08:56 AM
T
You need to leave a space at all locations where wxpansion and contraction would otherwise be limited. This includes around the walls, at the riser of the first step leading up as well as at the door threshold.. By the way, what's on this entry way right now and what have you done to prep.

Old 11-30-04, 10:02 AM
M
Thanks for replying. I had a 5/8 inch plywood base that was really solid and I installed 3/8 Fiberock over top. I used Mapei Ultraflex 2 to adhere the Fiberock to the plywood and I plan on using it for the ceramic as well.

Will placing grout between the threshold and tile be flexible enough to allow movement or should I use something else? I'd get caulking to match the color of my grout but I haven't seen anything at the stores that resembles my grout color.

Old 11-30-04, 10:14 AM
T
Grout will only crack out. If you are using mapei grout, I know from experience you can order color/texture matching caulks from Color Caulk, available through special order at HD for Custom, Laticrete and Mapei grouts. If you go to your local store and they can't find the info, let me know what color and texture and I'll get you the order numbers you need, I'm in my local store a couple times a week. It takes about 1 or 2 weeks to come in and it's about $9.98/tube, standard 11 oz size. Are your steps bullnosed, and what have you planned for the tile edge at the step down?

Old 11-30-04, 11:16 AM
M
Thanks, I'll check at HD. I just wasn't aware you could custom order it. I already have the grout and it is Mapei. I guess I'll go ahead and tile now making sure to leave room for the space. I can probably make one of the spacers into a "T" to account for the space by the threshold. Every other space will be covered by baseboard that I'll be installing later. My steps are bull-nosed except for the step down. I have a piece of schluter(but not that brand) to cover the edge at the step down.

Old 11-30-04, 11:59 AM
T
Sounds like a good plan to me. Post back if you need those order numbers. No need for a spacer at the door way, just measure any cuts very carefully so the spacing is uniform. You can use a piece of backer rod between your cement board edge and the threshold so you don't need as deep a fill of caulk there so it doesn't shrink so much.

Last edited by Tilebri; 11-30-04 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Not paying too much attention to typos
Old 11-30-04, 12:08 PM
M
Thanks again. I really appreciate your recommendations.