surface prep question

Old 11-30-04, 07:09 PM
littlehelp?
Visiting Guest
surface prep question

I'm laying a ceramic tile floor in an old kitchen. The existing floor consists of very old square linoleum tiles. After some research, I believe that these tiles have asbestos in them.

As I neither have the time nor money to have these removed professionally and I don't plan on removing them myself, I'm looking for alternatives. On thetiledoctor.com website there is mention of a product that can be legally used to cover these linoleum tiles. Does anybody know of such a product or have any other suggestions?
Thanks

Old 12-01-04, 11:23 AM
littlehelp?
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Bill. I haven't actually had it tested for asbestos. I don't suppose there's an easy way to test it myself? If it turns out that it's not an asbestos problem, would you ever go over linoleum (indirectly)?
Thanks again

Old 12-01-04, 12:22 PM
littlehelp?
Visiting Guest
Thanks again

Old 12-01-04, 09:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only way to be sure about asbestos is to have a sample tested in a properly equipped laboratory. Unless finely divided and airborne, asbestos does not present much of a hazard to health.

If the ceramic tiles will be properly installed over the old linoleum, there should be no concern about the old tiles.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: