bathtub tile

Old 12-09-04, 06:48 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathtub tile

I'm mostly a novice, but have torn down the walls in our bathtub area and will put up cement backerboard and haven't decided on whether to do a acrylic surround or to do tile. I'd prefer tile, but wanted to get some opinions on what is best to use. I don't want to do the 4x4 tiles, i'd like to do something bigger, but also don't want to break the bank either.

What is the best when it comes to least maintenance in a larger size and is not supremely expensive? Thanks!

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-04, 07:34 AM
T
Well, if you are tiling, then don't forget the roofing felt over the studs and drip edge of the tub before your backer board. If you are using an acrylic surround, you can even install MR board instead, but not with tile. Your limit to the type of tile used is only limited to your imagination. Given it's a small area, even going up to the ceiling, your only talking 70ish square feet, so the cost of tile that you love will not be that much, but where you always get slammed is with the bullnose and trim tile. If you are looking to save money, you could consider schluter rondec (www.schluter.com) edging as opposed to the bull nose or surface cap. Use thinset, not mastic for setting your tile. Post back for specific steps if you choose tile.

Old 12-09-04, 08:25 AM
A
the surround we are looking at is actually bolted right to the studs. The only thing that i worry about with that is that they have a tendancy to sound sort of hollow when you are in them. I'm not sure really what if anything can be done to deaden that.