logistics in tiling

Old 12-09-04, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
logistics in tiling

How do you do wall tile when there is a baseboard hot water heat unit on the wall. I can't fit the tile behind the unit. If I remove the nails holding the heater to the wall it still won't work because the floor holes that the copper pipe come through are tight to the pipe and won't allow movement of the heater. How do other people deal with this?

Last edited by lsasso; 12-09-04 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-04, 01:06 PM
You have 3 choices. 1) move the heater, 2) have a plumber move the heater, or 3)tile around it and caulk the gap around it. Post back with your choice and you can get advice on how to do it.

Old 12-10-04, 02:49 PM
I guess that I'll try going around the heater. Do you think that I'll need a J channel or something to keep the slate off of the metal?

Old 12-10-04, 04:04 PM
Not at all. Just shim the bottom of the slate off the heater about 1/8". Outta curiosity, what are you doing on the floor or is it done? You do need cold air to be able to get under the heater and then get heated by the fins and up and out through the front of the base board heater. If your slate is quite varying in thickness, you may want to use the 5 point method to install the tile. That's a gob of thinset in each corner and one in the middle. This gives enormous abbilities to keep the tile surface in the same plane. Not being under stresses as seen on the floor, this is an acceptable alternative to just troweling out the mortar on the wall, or fully buttering each peice.