Grout Cracks!

Old 12-12-04, 09:34 PM
ZeroHero
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Grout Cracks!

Hello
I noticed that I have a few hair-line cracks in the grout in my shower. I used a white Polymer-modified Non-Sanded Grout. 1/16 grout lines. 4X4 glazed tiles adhered to Durarock. I installed those tiles only 2-3 months ago. Why is this happening? Do I need to cut that grout out in those spots and reapply?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Last edited by ZeroHero; 12-12-04 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-04, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this is in the field of tile, then yes, cut it out and regrout. This is usually an indication that either too much water was used in the mix, for clean up or the shower was used too soon after grouting. If it's in the corners or along the tub deck, this should have been caulked and not grouted at all. Cut out the grout and clean the tile with rubbing alcohol and then caulk.

Old 12-18-04, 06:55 PM
ZeroHero
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tilebri
If this is in the field of tile, then yes, cut it out and regrout. This is usually an indication that either too much water was used in the mix, for clean up or the shower was used too soon after grouting.
Thanks Tilebri !!!
I just finished re-grouting those cracked areas. I kept my grout/water mix in check and was extra careful with the clean up. I will also make sure no-one gets that section wet before its finished setting up.
Cheers!