Cutting notch in tile?

Old 12-22-04, 11:20 AM
nada23
Visiting Guest
Cutting notch in tile?

I am doing a kitchen backsplash and there are 2 tiles which need to have a notch cut to form a U-shaped tile in order to fit around the top and bottom of an electrical outlet. The wetsaw can cut the parallel cuts, but how do I cut across in order to get the notch out? I've tried scoring it and it hasn't worked.

It's difficult to describe it accurately, but I need the tiles to be in a U-shape so the outlet box can fit in the notch in the dead-center of the tile.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-04, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mark the cut with a sharpie or wax pencil on the front and back of the tile. Tilt the blade assembly all the way back and push the back of the tile into the cut line, watching the front so you don't extend past the front corners of the cut out, though on the back, your cut line will extend past the cut line corners because the blade creates arced cut. Do this for all 4 sides of the cut out. If an outlet falls into the middle of a tile, you don't need to cut the tile in half and make 2 "U" cuts. If the outlet falls between 2 tiles, the cut down the cut lines on the uprights of the "U", raising the tile before you get to the corner point ro get as clean a cut as possible with little to no kerf remaining, then flip the tile over and tilt the blade back and push the tile into the blade to remove the base of the "U". As long as you have the water running, it is not easy to get cut with a continuous rim blade, so a bump against your finger wont result in an emergency room visit. If you have a vented blade (notches along the radius) then be very carefull because they can tear you up.

Old 12-22-04, 02:12 PM
They also sell manual jig saws for tile.
Cheap.

EDIT

Course it depends on what you are working with...
It worked well for me when I did 4inch ceramic wall tiles.
If you're working with something hard or thick, it may be a big pain.

Old 12-22-04, 04:04 PM
Not gonna work with lots of tile, you already have the wet saw so you have all you need. Of course, an angle grinder with a dry diamond blade would work too if you have one of them.

Old 12-22-04, 05:40 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Make too tahe when you cut the tile make it tight enough for the tile to sit on top of the tile and recess back into the wall where it was.The outlet has little ears on it that you cans ee if you look close ,make sure tile is cut so those ears sit on the tile so when you put the cover back on it won't caue any problems.
Some will say to get a box extension and bring the box itself out but i have personally never seen one,maybe more prevelant in some parts of the county than others i don't know never heard of one til i got on here.
Just cut the tile tight but so tight you can't get the screw for the outlet back in,oh you may want to get some longer screws as well

Old 12-22-04, 05:58 PM
They code where I come from. Come in several thicknesses and sand down easy as needed. Merry Christmas Floorman

Old 12-22-04, 06:16 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
You would think that they would be here too but they are not.Even the high dollar Union made mansions and any new home for that matter does not spec them wonder why?Who knows hey ,merry x-mas to you too

Old 12-23-04, 05:44 AM
You want to see a p/o'd electrician? Have him need to replace a box that was tiled over to allow the ears of the outlet or switch rest on the tile. Actually, when I am doing a kitchen or bathroom, I ask that the electician use adjustable depth boxes so when I'm done the tile, I just dial out the box using the depth adjustment screw. Always nice and flush. They are about $4/box, vs just cahnge for the standard boxes but make for a better finished product.