Re-grout?

Old 12-26-04, 04:32 PM
showbrandy
Visiting Guest
Question Re-grout?

I'm a first time homeowner with large terra cotta tile in my kitchen/dining room. The tile was installed approx. one year ago and the tile job is average at best. The floor is uneven and there are lots of deep gaps in the grout. Can I just apply more grout over what is there to bring the grout level even with the tops of the tile, or do I need to remove all of the existing grout and start fresh?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-04, 05:37 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Hi and welcome to the forums,Terra cotta is made to have that uneven,eu naturel,slapped in ,rough look,but you could ,if you wanted try to get the grout evened up a bit.The problem would be trying to get it to match the old grout seeing how it has been down a year now it may be a bit lighter.Youl would have to scratch out the grout that you wanted to touch up and make the rut deeper so the grout would hold.
All in all i don't think it would be worth the effort unless the job is just so awful that you cannot stand it,cause then the grout next to what you fixed would be messed up looking,or look odd then you would be tempted to fix that too,and so it continues.
Unless the grout and /or tile are coming out i think i would leave it alone,like i said just with the nature of the tile itself ,it is supposed to be rustic looking so this may be something you would never be finished with if you started make sense?Maybe it's just the whole terra cotta look that you don't like?Don't know ,get back to us and let us know what you think

Old 12-27-04, 08:13 PM
showbrandy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the feedback floorman. We do like the look of the tile and it goes with the whole "Tuscan" thing we are doing with those rooms. Maybe I will try and live with it for awhile and then see how I feel. I think you're right about the "never-ending cycle!" Thanks again.