Can I re-use ceramic tiles?

Old 12-28-04, 04:01 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I re-use ceramic tiles?

I put up 6 x 6 tiles on the wall in my kitchen about two years ago, but I made a grave error in aligning them, so I tore them down today. I am attempting to sand down the glue side but that makes it smooth. Will they stay up if they're glued back smooth? Or is there a way for me to get the tiles back to their original grooved texture? Will using adhesive remover work better?

Old 12-28-04, 07:05 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
You could re-use the old tile if the tile are filled the same way and one will not sit any higher or lower than the next one,you want it all to be flat.
I think i would be more concerned with the wall than the tile though you need to make sure you get the glue off the drywall or whatever you had the tile stuck to in the first place,it looks a backsplash maybe?Get it as flat as you can and scrape as much of the glue off the backs of the tile as you can and get everything as smooth as possible and you should be o.k.
Now if the tile are too screwed up and glue to difficult to remove then consider throwing them away and get some new ones,how much tile we talkin?May be cheaper and better in the long run to just trash them and buy new ones.Is it just a few tile or the whole wall?
Don't use any kind of chemicals on the tile but you could soak them in hot water to see if that will loosen the glue up a little

Old 12-28-04, 07:21 PM
T
I'd be more concerned with the condition of the wall too. If you used mastic the first time, soaking them in a bucket of water for a few days and then using a nylon brush should get ti all off pretty easy. If you used thinset, skim over the back of each tile right before you set it onto the thinset you comb onto your replaced sheetrock.( "replaced sheetrock", did I let that comment slip?)

Old 12-28-04, 11:25 PM
N
Well, the wall is going to be fine because I'm mudding and sanding it. I am not at all concerned about it. It's just the smoothness of the tiles I was worried about.

Thank you so much for answering me. Doityourself.com certainly rocks!!!!

Old 12-29-04, 08:31 PM
N
I soaked the tiles in water for just a few hours, and good as new!! I just scrape off the glue with a putty knife and that is that! That is quite a relief. Tomorrow it's time to glue them on!

Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 12-30-04, 04:14 AM
T
That's exactly why you don't want to use mastic in showers, but since it's a backsplash, it's ok. I will even go on step further and say you could reinstall using a premixed thinset, which is really mastic with sand in it. It will give you more leveling abilities over using just regular mastic in this situation in case you don't get your walls perfectly flat. Depending on what kind of compound you used to finish your walls, you may want to give it a coat of flat paint, just to keep the joint compound from reemulsifying from the moisture. (ie light weight joint compound in a bucket, vs a setting type compound purchased in a bag and mixed with water.) Now where did it go wrong before and can we help you make sure it goes perfect this time?

Old 12-30-04, 07:24 AM
N
I will definitely put a coat of paint over the joint compound (yes that is what I used). I wondered if I should and now I know. It sounds like thinset is the way to go if it doesn't cost a fortune more than the mastic. Now I have to confess I used mastic to tile my entire bathroom when I bought this house. I know NOTHING about remodeling a house, yet I bought a fixer upper, and I have been relying on people whom I thought know how to do these things to teach me. Apparently the guy who taught me how to tile didn't quite know all he should since he's the one that had me use mastic in the bathroom. It's been up for three years and so far so good, but when it starts falling I'll know why.

As for the mistake I made the first time, it was just a plain stupid mistake in that I started from the center on the third wall without giving thought to lining up with the tiles on the other two walls that were already up. But, it's okay. I definitely learned from that mistake. It won't happen twice!

Thank you again so much for all the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: